Friday, February 5, 2016

Community Post: The Night That Made Me Fall In Love With Fort Greene






1. Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to chat with Trayce Gardner from Brooklyn Young Filmmakers.



Somewhat on the quiet side, Trayce exudes a subtle sort of passion that becomes more and more obvious when you get her talking about something she loves. For her, this is using film to build and maintain a sense of community in Fort Greene. That’s the mission of her organization, the Brooklyn Young Filmmakers: to use film to break down societal barriers, create a dialogue among the locals, and preserve the culture of Fort Greene.





2. She spoke to me of how Brooklyn is losing its sense of community. The identity which it once had isn’t really a thing anymore.



With the rising costs of living, small business owners who may have had a place in this community for generations upon generations are being driven out by those who currently have the money.





3. Sure, I’ve heard this sort of story before. It’s the classic gentrification phenomena, happening everywhere.


And even though I could feel Trayce’s concern for the loss of the Brooklyn identity she once knew, I couldn’t really empathize. At least, not until she asked me to attend one of her film club events.





4. So I tagged along a few weeks ago to a small film club gathering to compare and contrast the 1957 and 1997 versions of “12 Angry Men.”




I hadn’t really had much of an interest in film before, but I figured I could give it a shot. Maybe I’d learn something new.





5. But what was more interesting to me was the context of this little film club get-together.



The club met at a local business, Mark’s Gourmet Burgers, on Myrtle Avenue. Not knowing what to expect, I walked into a small burger joint where I was immediately greeted by a jolly African-American man with a deep friendly voice (presumably Mark, perhaps?) who made me feel more welcome in that little corner shop than anywhere else I’d visited in Brooklyn since I moved here 6 months ago.





6. Mark’s Gourmet Burgers quite possibly has the BEST chili I’ve ever had in my life.




And the whole time, the friendly man with the jolly deep voice kept coming by to make sure everything was to my satisfaction. Which it totally was.





7. Even though, at the time, I was one of two caucasian people in the establishment, the people working at Mark’s somehow made me feel more at home than I’d felt in a long time.





8. And so I sat down, watched the films, and took part in the discussion that followed.



Trayce led a brilliant discussion comparing techniques and styles among the two films. Unlike the past version of myself who never participated in class discussions, I actually spoke up and took part in what led to be actually quite an enjoyable conversation.





9. As I sat and listened to the discussion, adding my own thoughts and opinions from time to time, I slowly started to realize that I had stumbled upon an actual community here in Fort Greene.


Sure, it was just a film club meeting in Brooklyn. But the people in attendance were from all different walks of life and cultural backgrounds. These people had come together, there in Mark’s Gourmet Burgers, to put aside everything from their daily hustle and bustle to just be together and share their love of film.





10. Aftewards, Trayce offered to show me the Brooklyn Young Filmmaker’s main office on Myrtle Avenue.



Curious to learn more about this tiny yet vibrant community she was attempting to preserve, I couldn’t help but continue to tag along.





11. The Brooklyn Young Filmmakers share a space with Huey’s Chueys, a cute little candy shop and cafe on Myrtle Avenue.



Even though it was late and the shop had already closed, I couldn’t help feel incredibly welcome (again!) in this cute candy shop with children’s artwork adorning the faded white brick walls. Trayce told me they had been sharing an office with Huey’s Chueys for a few months now, in an effort to turn the candy shop into a larger community hub.





12. I learned that Huey’s Chueys was owned by two Jamaican siblings, who truly loved their business but were starting to be intimidated by the rising rent costs.


I could feel the pain in Trayce’s voice as she relayed to me just how grim of a future the small businesses in Fort Greene were facing if things were to continue the way they had been.





13. As I walked down Dekalb, headed home after one of the most surreal nights I’ve ever had, I couldn’t help but reflect on my experience.



Amidst all the bars, hip coffee shops, organic groceries, and other businesses catering to the new generation of Brooklyn (which, don’t get me wrong, I enjoy just as much as any other Brooklyn transplant), it was nice to know that underneath all of that, a real community does exist. A community more permanent and meaningful than anything I’ve witnessed so far among the lovely historic brownstones of Fort Greene.





14. And even though that community is fighting to stand its ground, I can’t help but believe with all my heart that it will find a way to stick around.







15. This is the story I have to tell after just one night with Trayce and the Young Brooklyn Filmmakers. Imagine how many other stories have yet to be told.


This isn’t just my story. This is Trayce’s story. It’s the story of every person throughout Brooklyn who is holding onto something that has been there longer than you or I can remember.





16. Trayce is running an Indiegogo Campaign to help continue the work of the Brooklyn Young Filmmakers in Fort Greene.



Whether you contribute or not, at the very least, it’s worth sharing with a friend. And if you aren’t able to make a donation, please stop by a small business the next time you’re in town and say “hello.” It means more to our small business owners than you could ever imagine.



Read more: http://buzzfeed.com/brooklynyoungfilmmakers/the-night-that-made-me-fall-in-love-with-fort-gree-k5yw




Community Post: The Night That Made Me Fall In Love With Fort Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment