Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Most Amazing Stuff We Bought At Claire’s: Throwback Thursday





It wouldn’t be a proper TBT unless we paid homage to every middle school betch’s favorite destination for cheap multicolored accessories. That’s right, Claire’s.



You know the drill: your mom or dad would drop you and your besties off at the mall. You were probably wearing either Juicy tracksuits or Hardtail pants and a Sugar Lips tank. Then you hit all your regular spots: Abercrombie, Hot Topic—jk you ran right past Tot Topic–and finally you head to Claire’s because you need to up your accessory game.



It would be a waste of time to cover everything that sparkly purple haven had to offer so I’m just going to do a tbt to honor all my favorite items previously sold at Claire’s. It’s like a TBT inside a TBT. A TBT-ception, if you will.








  • Bonne Bell / Lip Smackers:




    For some reason, rubbing something that smelled like your favorite food on your lips was all the rage. Not necessarily dessert foods, either. Like I pretty distinctly remember at one point they came out with a McDonald’s French fries-scented lip gloss. Not sure who bought that, but whatevs. The Dr. Pepper one was my shit, though. I bought it for like 3 years straight. My lips always tasted like cherry and had a slightly red tint. I was a really cool kid.







  • Those absurd packs of earrings:




    If you needed earrings shaped like hearts, stars and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons, pots of gold and rainbows, and red balloons, there was nowhere else to go. Because obviously smiley face-shaped earrings in literally every single color of the rainbow are something every 12-year-old needs.







  • Best Friend necklaces:




    If I had as many actual best friends as I had best friend necklaces I’d have way too many fucking friends.







  • Bows:




    Bows were kind of a big deal before sorority girls got ahold of them. Like I’m not sure if they stole that style tip from their little sisters, or they never grew up in the first place, but either way Claire’s had you covered on the bow front.







  • Socks:




    Claire’s sock game was so on point. Even though tbh most of these things are a distant, hazy memory because I’ve tried to block out my awkward years, I can’t forget the wall of socks. Rainbow socks, striped socks, socks that were designed to look like sneakers, holiday socks, socks for every occasion. Socks on socks on socks. Now that I think of it, socks is a weird fucking word.







So we salute you, Claire’s. We’re not really sure how tf you’re still in business, and you really missed the mark with Icing, but your shitty plastic “jewelry” was nonetheless a part of every 90’s betch’s tween years.



*Sidenote: if your parents were actually delusional enough to think it was a good idea to have a teenager punch a hole in your ears and not charge you for it, I feel bad for you.



Read more: http://www.betcheslovethis.com/slideshow/claires-throwback-thursday




The Most Amazing Stuff We Bought At Claire’s: Throwback Thursday

fashion, Throwback, throwback thursday, throwback thursdays

No comments:

Post a Comment